The Importance of Psychological Support for Our Health Care Providers 5 minutes Many of our health care providers work without adequate protective equipment. They are exposed to tremendous mental anguish, long work shifts and traumatic experiences that they will never forget. Therefore, it is imperative that they receive psychological support in order to better respond to the harsh reality. \ “> Last updated: May 26, 2020
The psychological support of our healthcare professionals is extremely important. of this “war” with the coronavirus, there are not enough necessary resources, is constantly exposed to the disease and has to withstand long shifts in stressful conditions.
In addition , they have to deal with the most difficult: a sense of powerlessness in the face of all the lives lost. The emotional cost is enormous, and this situation leaves both short-term and long-term traces.
This is a situation in several countries around the world. Doctors, nurses, assistants and other healthcare professionals are prepared for a variety of different events, including emergencies. They know how to deal with accidents and fires and with tragedies caused by terrorism or natural disasters such as hurricanes or floods.
<p class = \ "jsx-4098198752 c – gray-neutral- 800 But none of us were ready for the coronavirus. Everyone was surprised. Terms like "pandemic" are a thing of the past that no one could have foreseen. This was something that did not exist in our modern society. It is a perfect, advanced and industrial society.
Despite this, the virus appeared. And our guardians are faced with something unknown that is often beyond their control. But instead of giving up, they continue to give everything they have every day.
Health authorities and medical and nursing unions warn that these Pandemics will have serious consequences for health care workers, especially in the long term. Emotional overload can lead to PTSD in the future.
We see them doing their job with undeniable professionalism. But it is also often and understandably that they are sometimes overwhelmed by stress and lack of crying. -stand-for-be-healthcare-institutions \ “class = \” jsx-3692753319 jsx-2566528898 c – main-600 mt – x-big pt – normal \ “> We must invest in providing psychological support to our healthcare workers
Retired doctors have returned to work in many countries. , will become their most difficult and difficult task in life.
We are faced with an exceptional situation, and only the healthcare professionals themselves know how to cope with the day Our healthcare professionals need psychological support for two main reasons.
First of all, so that they can cope a little better with their daily life .. Secondly, to reduce the psychological consequences that will accompany them. lost life, every experience they went through, every fear they experienced, and every time their efforts were not enough to save someone. All this costs money. -x-big pt – normal \ “> What impact does the covid-19 pandemic have on healthcare?
Every night when the clock strikes eight , people from all over the world gather at their windows and balconies to pay tribute to their caregivers. This is all we can do for them: stay at home to limit the spread of infection and express our love and admiration from a distance. However, we do not always aware of what they are really going through.
Their working day consists of:
- Lack of personal protective equipment (PP).
- A large number of patients and difficulties in caring for everyone.
- During the SARS epidemic in the early 2000s, health workers accounted for a fifth of those infected in the world. d.
- High radiation exposure.
- Fear of infection is further exacerbated by fear of infecting family members. When they come home, they must undress and take a shower so that their loved ones do not get infected.
- They often have to make quick and heartbreaking decisions. Such as. decide who to wear a respirator depending on the age of the patient.
- Stress, emotional distress and levels of anxiety are off the charts.
What strategies can help them
Psychological support is important to our healthcare providers and they need it immediately. The interventions and strategies we should focus on are as follows:
- First of all, we need to make sure that our healthcare workers are safe. The lack of access to the necessary and adequate equipment is alarming.
- We need to develop adequate organizational strategies. The goal is to prevent excessively long work shifts and provide them with space and short breaks during the day, and to ensure that they have proper nutrition.
- Every healthcare professional needs to know their limits. Not everyone is the same, and not everyone does the same in different situations. Mental and emotional exhaustion during work shifts can lead healthcare providers to make mistakes they cannot afford. Therefore, they should be able to seek help when they feel overwhelmed or exhausted.
- When caregivers come home from work, they should be able to reboot themselves. In other words, they should, as much as possible, be able to forget their hospital experiences and focus on relaxing leisure activities at home.
Psychological support for our healthcare professionals is to allow their emotional outlet
- There should be a place where healthcare professionals can express their feelings and have the opportunity to meet with colleagues. They need to have a therapeutic environment in which they can share their experiences, express their concerns, share their tears, and receive support.
- A protocol must be created. Our healthcare professionals need psychological help to cope with everything they face week after week. This is a strategy that is important in preventing PTSD from developing when this is over. The depression associated with the current crisis will skyrocket in the future if we don’t do something about it now.
To summarize, we can say that doctors, nurses, assistants and cleaners in our institutions are at the forefront of this struggle. We must equip them with the right tools. Some of them are physical, others are psychological. Right now, they are going through dramatic situations that they barely have time to comprehend. If they are not given the opportunity to do this, the consequences can be very serious.
We will take care of those who save us. Let’s support our true heroes.
This might interest youRead Mind ResearchCoronavirus Concern: Seven Strategies That Help 1906219618 jsx-3700838418 lh – 1-7 MTB – Normal \ “> COVID-19 is completely changing our way of life. feel anxious about the coronavirus. Think right to be able to compete at the top.